Friday, June 26, 1970

Cars that Mom and Dad had

My Dad’s Cars When I was born my parents had a 1947 Dodge like the one in this picture. (their’s was green). Dad started work with Royalite Oil Company which was later acquired by Imperial Oil. His entire working life was in the Oil industry as a “Land Manager”, buying and selling properties, and maintaining leases.

1947 Dodge

1957 Dodge Custom Royal

The next car that I remember was their 1957 Dodge Custom Royal which is featured in this picture with a bunch of people standing in front of it. They would be Dad’s mother, Janet, Mom in the car, me and Grandpa Walton and Bryce.

I never drove this car but this is the car I learned to drive on because I would stand up behind the driver’s seat and watch everything that Dad did.

1960 Dodge Polara11960 Dodge Polara2

The next car was a 1960 Dodge Polara. Yes it had large fins on the back just for style. Ours was dark brown. This is the first car that I actually drove.

1965 Dodge Polara11965 Dodge Polara2

Dad’s next car was a 1965 Dodge Polara 4 door hardtop. (ours was red) This is the car that I took my first road trip on my own. Dad asked me to drive down to Taber to pick up Mom. I remember it being an awesome time as I loved to drive and I appreciated the confidence that Dad had in me.

Dad had a reputation for buying cars. When he left the house he asked Mom if she had any preference and she said “buy any car you want as long as it’s red” Dad came back a few hours later with a new red car. That is so different from the way that I buy cars. I look and compare and study for a long time before I buy a car.

1970 Mercury Marquis

This is a 1970 Mercury Marquis Brougham 4 door hard top (Ours was red) Dad bought it in Taber from Uncle Lou Conrad’s ford Dealership.

After this Dad had another Ford . . . I think it was a Grand Torino brougham but I am not exactly sure.

1972 Volvo 144

While I was away from home Dad also bought a Volvo 144. I was shocked because it was so different than what he had driven before, and it was a car that I thought very highly of. He didn’t like it however and sold it within a year of buying it.

I think that I have lost track of which cars came next but when they were living in White Rock BC they bought a new 1990 Plymouth Acclaim. He also bought a used Lincoln Town Car that he had for a few months at the same time as his Plymouth.

1990 Plymouth Acclaim1990 Plymouth Acclaim2

They also had a Nissan Altima:

Nissan Altma

The last car they had was a “Red” Toyota Camry

Toyota Camry

No comments: