Sunday, October 16, 2011

Munich--Oktoberfest

Our second day in Munich we went downtown to the main square and old historical buildings.  Little did we realize that we were there right in the middle of Oktoberfest!!  It was so fun to apart of the crowds and excitement and atmosphere. 
So many people were wearing the dirndls and leiderhosen.   It was awesome.

This building is called the New Town Hall.....I know, not so new.   At 11:00, 12:00 and 5:00, the glockenspiel  goes off.....a clock with little figures in the openings up there that dance around telling a story.  It was interesting, but mostly because of the huge crowds waiting there  to take pictures of it when it went off.  Pretty funny.

Below is one of the major cathedrals in town.(I need Rick Steve's book to remember which one) It was very interesting, ornate, with private gated confessionals and/or worship places.

We then climbed to the top of the tower of that cathedral for the view of Munich.  Don't let these photos fool you, becasue it was really extremely crowded.  Lisa and I just happened to get a space coming down while most were watching the glockenspiel again from up top.



The Hofbrauhaus is a beer hall that is famous....for something to do with Oktoberfest....kind of where it all began.  We had to take a peek, so walked through on our way to the WC.  It was really fun to see all the people in costume, singing with the band, and getting drunk.

We then toured the Residenz Museum.  It was an awesome huge palace that was used by the ruling family of Bavaria for hundreds of years.  We wandered through with the listening device to hear about each room.....it was long but very cool.   Interesting statue.




We had fun in the ballroom...no one there at that time but us.  What a place for a ball!


Dinner at an Italian restaurant.....it's close to Germany.

4 comments:

elisha said...

That looks like a great place. So fun to be there during Octoberfest! Cool pictures!

Silvs said...

Oh my goodness. I loved that statue fountain with water coming out of the neck. The hallway picture that follows soon after reminds me of the scene at the end of Harry Potter 5. And I LOVED the picture of everyone with Matthew fast asleep. I want that to be the family portrait. Great stuff.

Amy Silva said...

That's so amazing you got to be there during Oktoberfest. What a party!

Lisa said...

So fun to see all these pictures, MOm. Good job recording it all. I can't wait to do it myself... but I'm not sure when that's going to be!!